A shared mail box is used when one or more people need to assume another email identity. The shared mail box is well suited when correspondence will be passed from one person to another, the identity of the email address is generic, or a group of people want to share and coordinate corresonding by email with outside parties. Some examples where a shared mail box can be used:
- An advising centre where a team of advisors manage incoming requests to "email@example.com"
- A booking request system, where one or more people accept booking requests and coordinate the reservations.
- A sales team needs to coordinate and track incoming inquiries, and they share access to a mail box with the address firstname.lastname@example.org
The following instructions explain how to set up access to a shared mail box for Mozilla Thunderbird on Windows, the steps for Thunderbird on MacOS are nearly identical.
1. Under Tools, select Account settings.
2. In the Account Settings dialogue box, select Account Actions and Add Mail Account...
3. In the Mail Account Setup dialogue, enter the name of the account, for example "Advising Department", the shared mail box email address and a random password, click the Continue button.
3. When the Manual Config button appears, click it!
4. In the Mail Account Setup dialog box, enter the same details as the screenshot, except for Username, enter your full email address, ex. "email@example.com", a backslash, and the identity of the shared mail box. For example, Mary Smith with the email address firstname.lastname@example.org who wants access to the Room Bookings shared mail box would enter:
Click the Done button.